Saturday, June 15, 2013

Making Kidney Connections

My connection with the Northeast Kidney Foundation (when it was still part of The National Kidney Foundation) started way back in 1998 when I first was diagnosed. At the time the company I was working for was mostly based in Manhattan and one of my clients was neighbors with The National Kidney Foundation. My client helped me make contact with them and they in turn helped me contact the local office.
They were extremely helpful in providing me with brochures and other information about Chronic Kidney Disease. They became lifelong allies in the fight against Chronic Kidney Disease for me. And now almost 15 years later I feel the need to give back. This is one reason I wanted to work in conjunction with them and help write the blog and why I love to participate in the Kidney Walks and the Catwalk for Kidneys.

One of the monthly events the Northeast Kidney Foundation hosts is the "Kidney Club" and its a great way to make a Kidney Connection for yourself. The monthly clubs, around New York State and Massachusetts, gives patients and family members a way to connect to other patients and family members. Its a place to ask questions and share experience with those who understand. Its a support group  where patients, family members and friends can come together. And the good news is there is probably one close to you. They currently have meetings in the following areas:

New York 

Albany area meetings are currently held the second Sunday of every month at the Macy's Colonie Center Community Room, from 12 noon until 2 pm.  (3rd floor near the kids clothes).

Buffalo area meetings are held the 3rd Thursday of the month at Erie County Medical Center in the third floor conference room at 7 pm.  

Oneonta meetings are at the Foxcare Wellness Center on the third Sunday of each month, starting at 12 noon.

Massachusetts

Pioneer Valley meetings are held the first Sunday of the month starting at 12 noon, resuming in July.

For more information about the Kidney Clubs please email kathe@healthykidneys.org or call
 518-458-9697.  And contact them if you are interested in starting a kidney club near you - they'd be happy to help!

Thank you for joining me on this journey, I look forward to your input, comments and questions along the way. I hope you will consider joining one of the Kidney Clubs and making your own kidney connection with the Northeast Kidney Foundation. 

1 comment:

  1. And you can also join our "Kidney Club" page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kidneyclub/ and get connected as well. We share info and updates and activities - check it out !

    ReplyDelete