Monday, June 10, 2013

And so the journey began.....



Nearly 15 years ago I started on a journey with Chronic Kidney Disease and my life would never be the same. Throughout the years I have experienced everything from kidney failure to kidney transplant to now being a home hemodialysis patient.  Throughout this blog I will share my personal journey as well discuss some of the major factors and causes of kidney disease.  I will share expert opinions on issues that directly impact the daily lives of  kidney patients and their families. With the support of the Northeast Kidney Foundation, I proudly offer my life’s journey:


Hello my name is Dena, I’m 43 and have had kidney disease since age 28. After a 6 month battle with migraine headaches I finally broke down and went to see my primary care doctor. To my surprise, 2 weeks after my initial appointment,  I was told that I had bilateral kidney disease. My serum creatinine was already in the high 2’s.  I had to come learn your normal levels are between .6 and 1.2 and mine was already 2.7 and climbing quickly. Serum creatinine is the measure of how well your kidneys are functioning. I was then referred to a Nephrologist, who is a doctor who specializes in the care of kidneys. And so the journey began....


Thank you for joining me on this journey, I look forward to your input, comments and questions along the way.









2 comments:

  1. We all have so much in common, and yet our initiation into this journey can be very different. How did you become a kidney patient? Please share your story here with us ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In November 1998 after quite a few tests by my nephrologist, I was diagnosed with Kidney Reflux or Renal Reflux disease. The most common symptom of renal reflux is a urinary tract infection. This occurs because the bacteria that cause the urinary tract infection are able to travel up the urinary tract as a result of the reflux instead of being pushed out during urination. When I was diagnosed I had not had any UTI's and therefore allowed for it to go un~diagnosed for so long and by the time the doctor's found it the damage was already done to my kidneys. The only symptom I started to have was flank/lower back pain resulting from urine refluxing up to my kidneys. This condition is usually caught in childhood and can be treated and most times cured.

    ReplyDelete