Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dialysis wrap up


Over the last few weeks we have been discussing the various modalities of dialysis. These choices included; in~center hemodialysis, home hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. It's important for every patient to educate themselves so they can make the best decision for their lifestyle. And the best thing about this is we have options! Living life on dialysis is not easy but choosing the right method can help ensure the best clinical outcomes and survival rate. Over the last 5 and a half years, I have lived life on a dialysis machine and the ability to do dialysis at home has made a huge impact on my treatments. The advantages of doing home treatments have been; fewer infections avoiding hospital stays, more freedom and independence on my personal schedule, and the ability to travel.


So far we have discussed the logistics of doing dialysis and now I want like to talk about the emotional aspects. Dialysis can completely change your lifestyle and often brings a feeling of helplessness and depression. The adjustment period in doing dialysis can be scary as you realize your body no longer works like it used and you need ongoing medical treatments. It can also affect your personal relationships. As it can be hard for family and friends to adjust to your illness and deal with your new lifestyle restrictions. Dialysis can also make it difficult to keep regular employment due to the associated fatigue issues. This has been a huge lifestyle change for myself. As I have not been able to work for a very long time. This can be a lonely place to be.

I have combated this by surrounding myself with people who try to understand what I'm going through and have allowed me to educate them on kidney disease. I have been blessed with a strong support system of family and friends. I would also recommend reaching out to find a support group, like Northeast Kidney's "Kidney Club". It's a great way make contact with people who are in the same situation and can really relate your what your going through. 

With the shortage of available organs for transplant dialysis is a necessary evil in the lives of  those battling ESRD/CKD. If you live in an area that offers dialysis options you should take full advantage of them if your area does not than insist they do! Talk with your nephrologist and demand access to these options. You can shape your dialysis life so become actively involved in your care. 

Thank you for joining me on this dialysis journey, I look forward to your questions, comments or concerns. 

Keep on fighting, you Kidney Warriors! 

~Kidney Blogger







2 comments: