Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What would you want to know?


Happy Wednesday and welcome back Kidney Warriors! The other day one of my online support groups posed an interesting question "What advice would you give to someone who was just diagnosed with kidney disease?"  The first thing I would tell them, after 15 years of living with kidney disease, is educate yourself about the disease . The more you know the more power you have over it. That's the first thing I did when I received my diagnoses. I knew absolutely nothing about kidney disease and really the only thing I knew about kidneys was that they cleaned your blood. Boy did I learn about how important the kidneys are to your overall health. Those two little bean shaped organs do some amazing things for the body. What I took away the most about learning about kidneys is they are 24/7 365 workings machines.

The second bit of advice I would share is, that your not alone in this battle. With the introduction of social media like Facebook and Twitter there are so many different support groups to provide education, support, and a place where others can relate to your experiences. I'm part of two different online support groups and both have provided me with support and comfort when no one else could relate to what I was going through. There are also offline support groups like the "Kidney Club" offered by The Northeast Kidney Foundation. If you live in New York please visit www.healthykidneys.org to find a local "Kidney Club" and if your area doesn't have one then contact Northeast Kidney to see if one can be setup in your area.

The next piece of advice I would share is, you can live a good life with kidney disease. And if  and when you advance to dialysis it's still a doable life. Yeah dialysis sucks but it will save your life. Having a good attitude towards dialysis is vital to the success of your treatments. As soon you learn that you need to start dialysis that is when you should start educating yourself about the different methods of dialysis. Please see blog posts "Kidneys and Dialysis 101, Dialysis 102, Dialysis 103, Dialysis 104 and Dialysis Wrap Up" to learn more about different dialysis methods.



The fourth piece of advice I would share is, that it's key to embrace a renal diet. Whatever stage of kidney disease you're in you should educate yourself on what's best during that stage. Each stage has different requirements and it's important to know what each is. Protein, sodium, phosphorus, and potassium are just a few things in your diet that you'll need learn how they affect your failing kidneys and the impact they have on your blood levels. This was one of the biggest challenges for me but now with a proper diet I have excellent blood work and feel so much better.

The last piece of advice I would share is, remember you are the captain of your own health care ship. If you don't like the doctor you are working with then find a new one. I have "thrown more doctors over board" than I can count. If you have questions, ask. If something feels wrong it probably is. Learn to listen to your body. You the best person to say when things are going wrong so pay attention to the signs. 

What would you want to about Kidney disease? Please feel free to leave a comment and ask! I would love to hear your questions weather you have just been diagnosed or you have lived with kidney disease for a long time. Thanks for joining me today! 

Keep on fighting, you Kidney Warriors! 

~Kidney Blogger 










2 comments:

  1. This is very essential blog; it helped me a lot whatever you have provided.

    Renal test online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that it has helped you. Please let me know if there's a topic I have not covered or any questions you may have about any of the posts. I wish you all the best on your journey with CKD and know your not alone! Keep the faith and keep strong. You are a Warrior!

      Delete