Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Second chance at a "Normal Life"

By Robin Lataille 

~  Kidney Transplant Recipient and Guest Blogger ~

     What is "Normal" to you?  For many years "normal" for me meant working during the day, then going home and getting hooked up to a machine for dialysis every night. Out of nowhere, I got very sick in 2001 and learned that I had polycystic kidney disease or (PKD). I began peritoneal dialysis at home. This system worked well for me for 7 and 1/2 years.

    Then for several months in early 2009, I began having trouble with fluid building up. Despite regular doctor's appointments, this build up remained unresolved until July when I spent a week at UMASS Memorial  hospital with congestive heart failure or (CHF). During this hospitalization, I was told my heart was functioning at only at 35 percent and I needed to go back on the transplant list to regain my quality of life. I had been offered a kidney in 2005 but was too scared and feeling too good and turned the offer down. I became deactivated on the transplant list but I did not lose my spot. For 6 months from July until I got the "call" I had to do hemodialysis for 4 hours 3 times a week . I still remained full time at work and I knew at this point I was getting sicker and that I needed to go back active on the waiting list.

     In January of 2010 I got the call I had been waiting for; with the kindness of a woman's husbands wishes, I received a new kidney. It was on Jan 3rd. and I feel this was a great miracle from God from the start. My birthday is March 1st and my transplant came on Jan 3rd. I say the numbers 3-1 and 1-3 are my lucky numbers. This new kidney means a new lease on life. I believe in living life to the fullest each and every day. This greatest gift of life has allowed me to rejoin my friends and family in many events.

Now, my "normal" is going to concerts that my niece and nephews are in, attending their ball games and so much  more. More importantly, my "normal" is thanking God, and my donor and his family, and my many supporters for this new life.

In addition, this great gift of life has enabled me to give back through my local New England Organ Bank by sharing my story to driver's ed classes, blood drives, and health fairs. I also am able to honor my donor by taking part in the transplant games each year. I have competed in two United States Games and two World Transplant Games. These were both inspiring and emotional at the same time. You do not have to be athletic to take part either. There are many events for ages 6 to 80 years old. If you think you cannot afford to go, you can do it by fundraising.  That's how I got there. I am here to help anyone that may have questions about any part of my journey. Remember you are not in this alone, and please reach out to the ones that are willing to help. I move forward each day honoring my donor  and his family with multitude of gratitude for this new life. Without them, none of this would be possible today!

Please enjoy some photo's of my time in South Africa during the 2013 World Transplant Games.




*With Scruffy Samuel*




I want to thank the Northeast Kidney Foundation and Kidney blogger for giving me this opportunity to share my journey with you.

~ Robin Lataille












1 comment: