Friday, February 21, 2014

For All The Ladies....


Happy Friday and welcome back! Today I want to continue the discussion for American Heart Month and specifically about women and heart disease. Heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States. It takes the lives of more women than all cancers combined. What most women don't know is that the signs/symptoms of a heart attack can present differently for a women than a man. I hope this lifesaving information will be passed on. Please share these will all the women you know, whether they have heart disease or not. 
  1. Chest pain and discomfort ~ This is the most common symptom of a heart attack however women can experience in a different way than men. For women it feels more like a squeezing or fullness feeling and can be anywhere on the chest not just the left side. It's a truly uncomfortable feeling.
  2. Stomach pain ~ Sometimes stomach pain indicators of a heart attack are mistakeIFn as the flu, heartburn, or a stomach ulcer. Reoccurring or intense abdominal pain should be reported to your doctor immediately. . 
  3. Pain in the jaw, arms, back or neck ~These symptom are often missed as a sign of a heart attack because most women are looking for a pain in chest or left arm. These pains can be sudden or gradual. These symptoms can be so intense they can wake you from a sound sleep. Any unusual pains that are above the waist should be reported to your doctor. 
  4. Sweating ~ Breaking out in a nervous, cold sweat is a common symptom that many women experience during a heart attack. 
  5. Shortness of breath, nausea, or lightheadedness ~ The sudden need to throw up, a feeling of shortness of breath or feeling like you've ran a marathon and haven't moved, and sudden dizziness are all symptoms of heart attack especially when all presented together. 
  6. Fatigue ~Most women experience extreme fatigue even days before a heart attack. With such extreme fatigue that they feel like they can't even do the simplest of tacks like walking to the bathroom.
IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE SIGNS/SYMPTOMS OF HAVING A HEART ATTACK IMMEDIATELY CALL 911.

Another factor of heart disease for women may be linked to having a hysterectomy. This is something I just learned yesterday. I was at my cardiac clearance appointment for my surgery and my cardiologist shared this information with me. When a hysterectomy is completed the changes in estrogen levels can increase the risks of cardiovascular disease. This is why it's so important for women who have had a hysterectomy to step up and and be even more vigilant with their cardiovascular health. 




Since I will be having my surgery in a few weeks, I will be taking a leave of absence  so I can recover. It has been a rough road getting to the point of needing a hysterectomy and living with chronic kidney disease. I'm not sure how many kidney doctor's talk to their female patients about this issue. I know my kidney doctor didn't talk to me about this until it became an issue for me. Because our kidneys don't make the hormones needed to maintain healthy hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, anemia becomes a huge issue for many female kidney patients. When you add terrible monthly periods into the mix the situation only gets worse. This is one of reasons why I needed to have so many, many, many blood transfusions. After 14 years of living this way it not only wore me down physically and emotionally but also has lead to some heart issues. Although I know there are some risks for increased cardiovascular disease, I think in this situation the pros's far out weight the con's.

I really appreciate all those who have followed and viewed the blog over the past  9 months and I look forward to coming back and continuing this journey with you. As always I look forward to your questions, comments, or concerns. 


Kidney Warriors keep strong and keep the faith! 

~Kidney Blogger







1 comment:

  1. Informative Content! Thanks for sharing with us...You can also visit our site for health related articles.

    ReplyDelete