Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March Sadness


Welcome back Kidney Warriors! It's with a very heavy heart that I write this blog post today. March has always been a cruel month for me, 19 years ago my mom was taken by Cancer. In five short months, it ripped through her lungs into her liver and took her life. It was some of darkest days of my life. From my misery I learned to be strong. It also taught me to be brave in face of the unknown. It taught me lessons which would help me survive the next 19 years especially when I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease.


On March 17th 2014 the cruel month of March would strike again. Kathe Lebeau, who was the Director of Patient Services and Public Policy at the Northeast Kidney Foundation, suddenly lost her battle with Chronic Kidney Disease. If it weren't for Kathe I would have never started writing this blog. She is the one who took me under her wing and became a mentor to me. Although I've only knew Kathe for a few short years she had become a very dear friend to me. Kathe and I had so much in common we were both fighting Chronic Kidney Disease and  both were NxStage Home Hemodialysis patients. Kathe also was an animal lover and rescued dogs this was something else we shared. 

 Kathe was a huge inspiration to everyone she encountered. She befriended every one she met and had a smile that was contagious. Although she lived everyday with a life threatening illness, Kathe still found the time to pursue her dream of becoming a clown. Spending much of her free time putting smiles on the faces of children. It was her way of sharing her joy of life with the world. She was known as "Kizmet" the clown which could not be more fitting. 


One of Kathe's biggest passions in life was being a patient advocate. She was a true Kidney Warrior! Everyday going into battle for all those suffering from kidney health issues. She often traveled to Washington D.C. to speak in front of the FDA and CMS to help forward the needs of kidney patients. The Kidney community has truly suffered a loss with Kathe's passing. She made an impact on every person she made contact with.

Kathe, I will miss you forever,  you touched my life and my heart! You will always remain an inspiration to me. I know you made a huge impact on the entire Kidney community. Rest in peace my dear friend. 

Keep on fighting,  you Kidney Warriors! 

~Kidney Blogger 














No comments:

Post a Comment