Friday, July 19, 2013

Its a heat wave!

first-aid-treatment-heat-exhaustion-heat-stroke-sign.jpg (400×400)


I wanted to share some lifesaving information today about the dangers of extreme heat and humidity for those suffering with Chronic Kidney Disease. With the temperatures hitting nearly 100 degrees today it is vital to know the signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke because those with a chronic health condition are at even greater risk. It's best to keep indoors and out of the heat if possible. Avoid long exposures to the sun and keep outside activity to a minimum. Today is not the day to work on the garden. If you have an air conditioner keep it running and if you don't many areas have cooling centers setup. You can contact your local department of health to find out where they are going to be. Going to the mall, library or visit a friend/relative that has air conditioning is a great escape from the heat and a great way to spend an afternoon.

Of course one of the biggest challenges for those suffering from CKD/on dialysis is dealing with the thirst issue. This extreme heat makes us even more thirsty than usual.and I wanted to share some tips that have gotten me through many a hot, humid day. First of all, stay out of the sun it only increases the urge to drink. Today is a great day for one of those "Pj days" I  always talk about.  Put on a comfy, lose fitting outfit grab a good book and sit in the a/c. If you can't do that make sure you have on a light colored outfit that reflects the sun. Avoid as much sodium as you can, that too will make you want to drink more. Another great tip is freezing your favorite fruits like grapes. They will provide a good way to quench your thirst, refresh your mouth while not intaking too much fluid. Some other fruits I like to freeze are strawberries and blackberries. Just remember they contain potassium so you want to be careful not to over indulge. My other favorite mouth quenching treat on a hot day is a sugar~free popsicle. Again you get the refreshment of the ice cold treat without a lot of fluid. Its best to plan out your fluid intake for the day, that way you don't get dehydrated while still being certain that your not over doing it. My fluid restriction is 1 liter per day so what I do is take a 1 liter container and fill it and that's what I drink from for the day. When I feel I need a little extra something I pop in one of those frozen treats. Finally, if you have diabetes maintaining good sugar levels will also help cut down on the urge to drink. High glucose levels makes you want to drink more.

I hope all you Kidney Warriors keep safe out in the heat today. As you can see heat exhaustion and heat stroke are nothing to mess around with so pay attention and know the signs. For even more information on keeping safe in the heat please visit Northeast Kidney on Facebook at:
 https://www.facebook.com/northeast.kidney?fref=ts.

I want to thank you all for joining me on this journey, I look forward to your comments, questions and concerns.

Keep on fighting all you Kidney Warriors!

~Kidney Blogger

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post! :-). Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Thanks and I hope your enjoying the blog and finding the information useful. If there are any topics you would like to discuss please let me know. Keep on reading!

    ~Kidney Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in understanding more about multiple surgical procedures, recovery, etc. My father had a transplant in 1970. He kept his native kidneys. My brother had a transplant in 2005, a double nephrectomy in 2006, and several hernia surgeries since then. They plan to do all 3 procedures for me at one time. I think this sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen,
      We are asking our clinical consultants to weigh in and address this as a topic that we can run as a posting related to transplant surgery, related multiple surgeries and relative recovery times. So please look for upcoming blog entries when we begin the subject of transplant and recovery times.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. This information could bring peace of mind to others in a similar situation. :-)

    ReplyDelete